We spent two or three hours working on the coop again this evening. We needed to get it to a point where we can move the chicks out of the house into the coop. They're outgrowing the brooder! We managed to finish all four sides of the vinyl flooring, installed insulation and wall boards below where the large window will be cut on the back wall, and installed PERCHES!
I wanted the perch ladder attached to the back wall with hinges so that I could lift up the ladder and have the perches suspended from the ceiling when I clean out the wood shavings in the coop. I think it's going to work PERFECTLY! (I saw this idea on a coop design shared at backyardchickens.com - I think it's a brilliant idea!) I don't even have to duck my head to stand under them when they're suspended! We put some short pieces of chain on the ceiling above each side of the perch. We added a couple of hooks to the legs of the perches so that the perches can be suspended from the ceiling. That, along with the vinyl flooring and the WIDE opening door will make cleaning out the coop a breeze!
Tomorrow evening, I'll add a layer of wood chips to the floor, a waterer and feeder, and introduce the babies to their new digs! They're too little to be outside just yet, so we have time to work on the chicken door, chicken run, and the window on the back wall. We'll also be adding in some nest boxes as well, but we've got plenty of time before they're ready to lay eggs!
In time, my dears, in time!