About a month ago I bought two Toulouse goslings. Last week, one of them started having seizures, and I ended up losing it. It was a very sad evening for me. The second gosling was very lonely all alone, so I decided to get another baby so there wouldn't be any lonely geese on the farm. A long-distance friend of mine thought she might like to own a goose on our farm too, so I said I would be happy to raise a little one for her, and have it live on our farm. So, two additional babies were added to our menagerie. Geese are very much a flock animal, especially Toulouse geese. The three are doing super, getting along great, and seem to be quite happy! This photo was taken a couple evenings ago (or was it last night?) of them enjoying a snack of wild lettuce, a goose favorite!
I also want to say sorry to have been away from the blog for a few days. The editing site I use to write my blog posts hasn't been available to me when I've sat down to post, due to some service issues the provider for my blog was having. Not having access to the editing site makes it a challenge to get posts up. Things seem to be a bit more stable now, so hopefully I've seen the last of the issues.
Also, spring is a very busy time of year around here. I've been busy trying to get the rest of the garden in, before it's too late and I run out of low enough temperatures. I haven't even taken photos of the magnificent wildflowers yet! Ack!! But, I'm almost done putting the garden in! A few more tomatoes to put in, a few more hills of squash to seed, and maybe some more spinach and radish, and I'll be ready to sit back and watch it all grow!
I do have some crafty projects to share too, so stay tuned!
There's a new Mix-Ability Challenge posted in the challenge forum at SplitCoastStampers! The challenge is called April Showers (Mix64), and it's hosted by me! The challenge calls for you to Mist, Splash, Spray, or Squirt your project ... create puddles if you dare!
For my card, I started by pressing various colors of Distress Ink to an acrylic block. I then misted the ink on the block with water and pressed the block to my watercolor paper. The ink moved and blended on the paper under the block. When I lifted the block from the paper, nice puddles of color formed. This created a colorful background for me to embellish.
Next, I stamped the bird and postage mark images on the colored panel using black StazOn ink. I then sprayed water into my hand and dripped and flicked the water onto the colored panel. Using a paper towel, I blotted up the water. This lifted some of the color, and created some lighter color spots. I used a white PITT artist pen to doodle on the panel, creating areas of dots and stripes.
The feathers and the leaf behind the paper flower were die cut from watercolor paper that had been inked with various Distress Ink colors. I added white doodles to the feathers as well, using the same white PITT artist pen. I adhered the feathers and leaf die cut to my colored panel, tucked in a wood veneer feather, some pearl stamen and eyelash trim, created some faux stitching lines around the edges with a tracing wheel, and finally adhered a pretty paper flower to the colored panel. I adhered the embellished panel with foam adhesive to a card I created using watercolor paper.
The idea behind the Mix-Ability Challenge is to make mixed media simple and approachable, and to let you experiment using things you already have. Each Friday a new challenge is hosted, but there is no time limit, so you can participate whenever you'd like on each challenge. Join us, won't you!?
A new challenge is being shared today on the Impression Obsession Blog, and I hope you join the fun! The challenge is called Out of the Box! Pull out your creativity, and join us! You can interpret the challenge any way you'd like. For my card, I chose to use some die cuts differently than intended, and also did an "out of frame" design to create a spring garden scene.
I used the Window with Shutter die set to create the frame of the scene. Once I had the window die cut, I snipped out the window panes with scissors leaving me with just the outer frame. I created the carrots using the Tulips Set and Leafy Branch dies. I die cut the tulips from white card stock and colored the flower petals with various orange markers. I adhered the tulips upside down on the burlap layer, and added bits of the Leafy Branch die cut to to create the carrot tops.
Find all the details on how to enter the challenge on the Impression Obsession Blog. A random challenge entry will be selected to showcase on the IO blog and you can to enter to win a $25 gift certificate to IO just by playing!
Now, get ready for a wonderful dose of inspiration and check out what the other team members created for the challenge. Have fun!!